Kymco Miler 125 fuel sensor

The Area for Technical Q & A's for your scooter or motorbike.
Please read the rules before making any posts.

Moderators: Damnfunky, DTO, Soeley

Wilber

Kymco Miler 125 fuel sensor

Postby Wilber » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:57 am

Hi everyone.

When I fill the fuel tank to the brim, the gauge shows full, but after about 20 miles of riding the needle gradually falls a bit, fluctuates up and down for a while, then gradually drops to empty until the next time I fill the tank, when the same things repeats.

I removed the sensor unit from the top of the fuel tank, cleaned it with WD40, (it did look pristine with no wear or dirt present), and checked its operation while out of the tank.

It work exactly as it should; when I moved the float, the fuel gauge needle on the dashboard responded straight away, both at maximum and minimum levels, and in between.

However, as soon as I put it back in the tank, the gauge fell to ‘Empty’. The float does not have any holes in it, and I can see when I immerse it into the petrol, the float comes up as it should. The float and connecting rod are not catching anywhere inside the fuel tank. There are no shorts on the wiring, (I checked with a multimeter)

When placed back in the tank it just falls to empty. Everything looks fine and there is obviously no break in the wiring, so what may be the problem?

I have located a fully working fuel sensor from a Kymco Agility 125, which to my eyes looks identical. Might fuel sensors be interchangeable between different models of Kymco 125 scooters? The locking plate to secure it to the fuel tank seems to be identical.

Any thoughts greatfully received, on a solution to the problem and/or whether the Agility fuel sensor will work in my Miler.

Thanks, Wilber
Kymco Miler 2007

It's not what you ride, it's that you ride
Wilber

Re: Kymco Miler 125 fuel sensor

Postby Wilber » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi everyone.

My fuel sensor problem is now fixed. I used the sensor from a Kymco Agility 125. I had to use the existing float/float connector rod from my Miler, as the Agility one was too short and would have given innaccurate readings. I also had to swap 2 of the wires round as they are reversed on the new sensor. It now works perfectly, (and to date, fairly accurately!). Not bad for £5!!! All in all it only took half an hour. The main stealers were quoting £39.99 + £7 p and p.

Regards, Wilber
Kymco Miler 2007

It's not what you ride, it's that you ride
bobthedog
T&G Regular

Re: Kymco Miler 125 fuel sensor

Postby bobthedog » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:44 pm

Good to hear that you got it fixed, so often on this forum someone comes for support and never posts how his/her problem was fixed, or whether advice given by others has actually worked

Thanks

Bob
Its not how fast you can go that counts - Its getting safely to your destination.

Return to “Technical”