Non starting Gilera 200

The Area for Technical Q & A's for your scooter or motorbike.
Please read the rules before making any posts.

Moderators: Damnfunky, DTO, Soeley

Lewis_55

Non starting Gilera 200

Postby Lewis_55 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:47 pm

Hi guys,

Seems there is a bit of a theme with non starting 200's recently on here but still struggling after reading the other posts, so I hope someone can help me; appreciate it.

Bike was stored for 2 years or so, I left it empty before and have filled it up with fresh fuel now.

Bike wouldn't start so i have taken the carb to bits, taken out the jets and blown through with a compressor.

reassembled but still not starting, the plug is sparking but no fuel is coming through.

decided to block off the carb intake with my hand and also prime carb with the little pump device on the back of the carb and there is compression and it actually starts but runs fairly lumpy it will not idle alone. also will run away with its self a little bit if i rev the bike like this.

after 15 minutes or so the bike will not start again unless i block the intake.

I hooked up a separate fuel line in just in case there was a problem with the fuel pump but the carb seems to stay full of fuel in the bowl.

Im not sure how to check the valve clearances so that's my only concern but the bike was running fine before being stored?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Gilera 2006 VXR200
7000 Miles,
kishan
Board Pro!

Re: Non starting Gilera 200

Postby kishan » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:10 am

strange. i think maybe a valve adjustment may solve the issue as its not opening and closing correctly which means its flooding the bike. After 5000/6000 miles the valves should have been re-adjusted .
www.piaggioownersclub.freeforums.org - Welcomes Piaggio,Vespa,Gilera and Aprilia owners
Lewis_55

Postby Lewis_55 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:15 am

Thanks for the reply, small update.

I have got the bike started buts its still a pig to start, i have to pump the fuel accelerator (the small pump on the back of the carb.)

It will tick over but does tend to rev on a bit if i blip the throttle.

Still not great as I cant start it without messing around with that pump.

could it be air screw related- I have tried tweaking it but it doesn't seem to make much difference its like the idle circuit isn't working correctly.

any thoughts appreciated,
kishan
Board Pro!

Postby kishan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:13 pm

check you got no air leak in the vacuum of the carb . the any air leak from the airbox and the intake pipe of the airbox.

did you get the valves re-adjusted ?
www.piaggioownersclub.freeforums.org - Welcomes Piaggio,Vespa,Gilera and Aprilia owners

Return to “Technical”