Honda Dylan speedometr / fuel gauge fault

The Area for Technical Q & A's for your scooter or motorbike.
Please read the rules before making any posts.

Moderators: Damnfunky, DTO, Soeley

cruiser

Honda Dylan speedometr / fuel gauge fault

Postby cruiser » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:51 am

This fault's driving me crazy! :?

ok... there were no problems with my Dylan before I laid it up - in the garage - for the winter. The only thing I did over the winter was to charge the battery in situ several times.

But the first time I rode it this year the speedo and fuel gauge acted erratically, sometimes fluctuating and sometimes "stuck" in various positions, or moving erratically.

After much head scratching, I disconnected the multi-connector to the instrument pod and after re-connecting, lo and behold, both indicator needles returned to zero and both speedo and fuel gauge indicated normally for a few miles before the fault re-occurred - speedo and fuel gauge stuck in random positions.

I've disconnected/reconnected the multi-connector several times (to "wipe" the contacts) and the fault again clears, only to re-occur again after a mile or two. I'm convinced that there's no problem with the connector itself, rather I think it's the electrical disconnection that "resets something", enabling the instruments to work again, at least for a while.

I've checked the main earth point - makes no difference.

I don't think there's a problem with the instrument cluster because, as I say, the speedo and fuel gauge will work correctly for a few miles.

Has anyone suffered a similar problem? Any help would be much appreciated - before I get ripped off at the dealers!
Last edited by cruiser on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
kishan
Board Pro!

Re: Honda Dylan Speedometr / Fuel gauge fault

Postby kishan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:53 am

change the battery and then see if still happens the battery could be dry and you may need a new one :)
www.piaggioownersclub.freeforums.org - Welcomes Piaggio,Vespa,Gilera and Aprilia owners
cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:03 am

kishan wrote:change the battery and then see if still happens the battery could be dry and you may need a new one :)

Thanks for your quick reply, kishan!

I'm as sure as I can be that the battery isn't at fault. The bike starts without hesitation and all electrical equipment operates normally, except the speedo and fuel gauge.
kishan
Board Pro!

Postby kishan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:06 am

ah ok because on my aerox the battery was getting dry and my dials were acting in a similar way once i put a new battery in it was fine,hope you find the cause and get it sorted :)
www.piaggioownersclub.freeforums.org - Welcomes Piaggio,Vespa,Gilera and Aprilia owners
ossy

Re: Honda Dylan speedometr / fuel gauge fault

Postby ossy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi guys,
I have just bought a SES 125 (2007) and took it to honda for servicing. It had done 7k miles. they did the usual servicing stuff and but also a front brake overhaul as it was seizing and replaced a leaking shock absorber on the front (or something along those lines). the problem im having is the odometer is reading 188888 miles and doesnt keep the time properly and repeatedly says oil change ( I chckd the oil and its fine). TAlso there was one episode where the speedo froze at 20mph and only reset it self when I restarted the bike. Is it possible that they have screwed something up while fixing the front suspension and brakes? I only took it for service a week ago and didnt ride it till monday when i noticed the problem. please help!
bobthedog
T&G Regular

Postby bobthedog » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Ossy if you have concerns about the work done to the bike take it back to the dealer to check it out, it should have been returned to you in roadworthy condition. If its a good dealer, looking to establish a lasting relationship with you as a customer I think they wont hesitate to look at it for you.
Its not how fast you can go that counts - Its getting safely to your destination.
fisonway

Postby fisonway » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:10 pm

cruiser wrote:This fault's driving me crazy! :?

ok... there were no problems with my Dylan before I laid it up - in the garage - for the winter. The only thing I did over the winter was to charge the battery in situ several times.

But the first time I rode it this year the speedo and fuel gauge acted erratically, sometimes fluctuating and sometimes "stuck" in various positions, or moving erratically.

After much head scratching, I disconnected the multi-connector to the instrument pod and after re-connecting, lo and behold, both indicator needles returned to zero and both speedo and fuel gauge indicated normally for a few miles before the fault re-occurred - speedo and fuel gauge stuck in random positions.

I've disconnected/reconnected the multi-connector several times (to "wipe" the contacts) and the fault again clears, only to re-occur again after a mile or two. I'm convinced that there's no problem with the connector itself, rather I think it's the electrical disconnection that "resets something", enabling the instruments to work again, at least for a while.

I've checked the main earth point - makes no difference.

I don't think there's a problem with the instrument cluster because, as I say, the speedo and fuel gauge will work correctly for a few miles.

Has anyone suffered a similar problem? Any help would be much appreciated - before I get ripped off at the dealers!

Any luck with this fault?? I have exactly same fault - fuel gauge and speedo gone crazy ??
Was there a resolution??
cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:52 pm

fisonway, sorry for the - very - late reply!

To answer your question: no, I haven't solved the erratic speedo/fuel gauge problem yet. I've been "living with it" until now but, for obvious reasons, I need to sort it soon. I'm reluctant to replace the battery to see if this helps because, as I stated earlier, there is no other electrical problem with my Dylan - it starts without hesitation etc.

How about you (or anyone else) - did you get to the bottom of the fault?

:?
Grabs

Postby Grabs » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:12 pm

Morning! I know this problem was 5 years ago but did you or anyone with the same problem get to the route of the issue? I'm been having the same problem with both speedo and fuel gauge. I bought a new speedo unit. It worked when mechanic fitted but has stopped again. I thought changing this unit would fix the problem but it hasn't. The mechanics are stumped as they've checked voltage and connections and all fine. Cheers in advance. Grabs

Return to “Technical”