Engine rebuild advice - read BEFORE picking up the spanners!

The Area for Technical Q & A's for your scooter or motorbike.
Please read the rules before making any posts.

Moderators: Damnfunky, DTO, Soeley

Davva2004
T&G Regular

Engine rebuild advice - read BEFORE picking up the spanners!

Postby Davva2004 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:42 pm

Hi all,

There seem to be a fair few posts from people who have done rebuilds on their engines or fitted bigger bore kits and are having problems with their engines afterwards, so I thought I’d share some pointers for you as I have almost 20 years experience of rebuilding car engines. I know most scooter engines are a lot simpler than a car engine, plus there’s the differences between two strokes and four strokes, but these are general guidelines that apply to any petrol or diesel engine following a rebuild.

So let’s start with the most important…

1) IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT AT ALL WHETHER YOU HAVE THE NECESSARY SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, OR TOOLS TO DO THE JOB PROPERLY – DON’T EVEN START. Take it to a garage and let them do the work for you. It’ll cost you so much less in the long run, trust me on this.

Assuming though that you are confident in your skills and you have all the right tools, let’s continue…

2) Make sure you have EVERY part you’ll need. Remember that you may well need new bearings, circlips, head bolts, rings etc etc, don’t assume everything you need will be in the kit. Reusing old bearings and circlips etc is a sure way to kill your new engine in no time at all. If in doubt – replace it. Don’t assume anything, check and double check everything.

3) After the rebuild, DON’T just start the engine and drive away, there’s a lot of steps you need to do first.

4) Before you fit the engine into the frame, turn the engine over by hand with the rocker cover off and the spark plug left out and feel how smoothly the engine rotates – any signs of stickiness, areas of friction, or even no rotation at all means you’ve done something wrong. Strip it down and recheck everything., and go back to step 4.

5) Fit the engine and transmission into the frame, fit the spark plug but do not attach the HT lead yet you’re still not ready to start it. Using the kick-start, turn the engine over a few times. You’re listening for any strange noises or unusual resistance to turning, or even turning too easily – if it feels different from normal, or rotates more times than you think it should, check it out and go back to step 4.

6) Still with the HT lead unattached, turn the engine over for about 10 – 20 seconds on the starter. Again, listen for any strange noises, turning over too slowly, or spinning too fast. If it doesn’t sound and act like normal, there’s a problem. Recheck everything and go back to step 4. Doing this builds up oil pressure and makes sure your new engine is protected as soon as you turn the key.

7) Now you can attach the HT lead, fingers crossed it’ll start easily!!! If not, again check everything.

8 ) Just because you’ve got your engine running, don’t go thrashing it or revving the nuts off it just yet. You’re now going to have to run your engine in according to the manufacturers instructions, if you are unsure how to do this ask the question.

Do these simple steps and your freshly rebuilt engine will last you just as long as any engine purchased from the factory. Just remember the one golden rule – IF IN DOUBT, ASK.

Hope this helps!!!

Dave

DISCLAIMER: The information in this guide is provided for general guidance only. The author accepts no liability for any damages or costs to either persons or property due to using the information in this guide. If you are in any doubt as to your ability to follow the guide please do not attempt any of the steps contained and consult a qualified professional before undertaking any actions.
Last edited by Davva2004 on Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scooter noob - car expert
The above opinion is my own and applies only to me, if you don't agree - fair enough :)
GTi Driver
Board Pro!

Postby GTi Driver » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:56 pm

Nice timing 8) My 70cc kit is in the post right now, its a Christmas prezzie to myself :D )

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

All these stories of people blowing their's so soon after building have worried me a bit, although I do have a lot of experience with car engines and 2 stroke nitro's so I should be ok.

I've bookmarked this thread, cheers dude :}:)
piaggiocenter
The Zeus of postings

Postby piaggiocenter » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:00 pm

A good start Davva, just make sure you put a legal disclaimer in case anybody sues you... :lol:

Read and learn Gents, read and learn. BEFOREHAND EH?
keepin' it real!
Davva2004
T&G Regular

Postby Davva2004 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:12 pm

Small print is added! Cheers PC :pimp:
Scooter noob - car expert

The above opinion is my own and applies only to me, if you don't agree - fair enough :)
R3DD3V1L

Postby R3DD3V1L » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:29 pm

very useful!!
minorconfusion
Board Pro!

Re: Engine rebuild advice - read BEFORE picking up the spanners!

Postby minorconfusion » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:07 pm

yet nothing about setup..... so this is basicly instructions on how to blow an engine up
my other ride is yo mamma
zip70
Board Pro!

Re: Engine rebuild advice - read BEFORE picking up the spanners!

Postby zip70 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:00 am

1) IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT AT ALL WHETHER YOU HAVE THE NECESSARY SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, OR TOOLS TO DO THE JOB PROPERLY – DON’T EVEN START. Take it to a garage and let them do the work for you. It’ll cost you so much less in the long run, trust me on this.

Good advice on one hand but I think theres a lot to be said for jumping in at the deep end..

Return to “Technical”