Yamaha D'elight tickover (or not)

The Area for Technical Q & A's for your scooter or motorbike.
Please read the rules before making any posts.

Moderators: Damnfunky, DTO, Soeley

Loggo

Yamaha D'elight tickover (or not)

Postby Loggo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi to the forum and here is the traditional "I've just joined so now I'll ask a question"

I started scootering many years ago - my last scoot was a Lambretta GP200 which I bought new in 1969 ! You'll see that my knowledge is a bit out of date.

I recently bought a Yam D'elight - 114cc but ok for what I need (Just not what I want) the problem is that whilst it starts first touch of the button once it warms up as soon as I close the throttle and stop the engine stalls. Five or six re-starts and the battery gives up. Now my ear tells me that the tickover is quick enough (no rev counter) nevertheless my instinct on a carburated scoot would be to turn the tickover screw a bit but this bugger is fuel injected and computer controlled so I would have thought that allowance would be made for this automatically ? It had a full service three months ago.

So my questions are - What is the problem ? Possibly plug gap on the large side ?

Secondly - is my 18 month old battery shot ?

Thirdly - why did they do away with kick starters and then produce twist and go transmission - I'm too old for all this pushing.

Regards

Loggo
andyscooter
Posting Insanity

Re: Yamaha D'elight tickover (or not)

Postby andyscooter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:07 pm

personally I would change the battery or at least test it

if its not charging properly the fuel injection wont work properly as it need power to pump the fuel into the engine

may be getting enough to run with throttle open but not enough to power it when the engine is idleing

you want at least 12.5 volts before starting and about 13.5 when idleing and 14 or so when revving the engine
2015 lml star
Loggo

Postby Loggo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks for that Andyscooter. I will have to borrow a multimeter and check.Always starts first push of the button though. Just not much reserve on the battery
andyscooter
Posting Insanity

Postby andyscooter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:25 am

:mrgreen: I would buy a multi meter they are only a tenner and very useful to have on a bike :pimp:

not only that new tools innit 8)
2015 lml star
Loggo

Postby Loggo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Well I grasped the metal and bought a Multi-meter and the result was a bit surprising as the battery (unused for six days) gave a reading of 12.9 which seems on the high side. Don'k know if being a gell battery makes a difference.
Just to test the meter I tried it on a car battery which lives in the shed and was last charged a few weeks ago and it reads 12.4 which see,s about right.

Any thoughts ?
RoadieRoger
Posting Insanity

Postby RoadieRoger » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:03 pm

A spark plug gap that`s too wide could cause your trouble and have you checked your valve clearances ?
Loggo

Postby Loggo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:01 am

I'll make that my next job.
andyscooter
Posting Insanity

Postby andyscooter » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:55 am

Loggo wrote:Well I grasped the metal and bought a Multi-meter and the result was a bit surprising as the battery (unused for six days) gave a reading of 12.9 which seems on the high side. Don'k know if being a gell battery makes a difference.
Just to test the meter I tried it on a car battery which lives in the shed and was last charged a few weeks ago and it reads 12.4 which see,s about right.

Any thoughts ?

we used to get car batteries from the supplier with 13 volts in new so that's fine
what is it when under load(revved)

try a new plug as well as the one in it could be faulty
2015 lml star
Loggo

Postby Loggo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks Andy. Haven't done it yet but i plan to change the plug while i'm at it as it's just as well whilst it'out. Starting to look like i owe you a pint for all the input.
Loggo

Postby Loggo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:51 am

Just a quick update. Plug removed and it looked new with the gap spot on. Plug replaced and the problem seems to have gone away ! I did refill the tank and am now wondering if the fuel was a bit oldish and caused my problem.
andyscooter
Posting Insanity

Postby andyscooter » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:53 pm

like stated could of been a faulty plug (dropped in Halfords by the clumsy Saturday lad)

or a fake one off ebay (there is a fair few about)
2015 lml star

Return to “Technical”