Winter Tyres

The Area for Technical Q & A's for your scooter or motorbike.
Please read the rules before making any posts.

Moderators: Damnfunky, DTO, Soeley

dakbutler

Winter Tyres

Postby dakbutler » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi All

I'm new to scoottering, although have larger motorbikes. Bought a tidy secondhand Sym Joyride 200 evo for winter - normally commute on an R1200GS, but winter makes bits of it furry, the oil never heats up and goes milky, and if I drop it the bill will probably be more than the Sym cost.

So the Sym is fun, nippy, economical and practical. Most noticeable difference to bigger bikes is "indifferent" suspension, and tyres that slide on almost everything when it's wet.

I was looking at winter tyres ( as it will be mostly used in winter), and wonder if there are any experiences/recommendations out there. Some manufacturers don't do tyres in the right size, but the Contimove 365 is available.

What do you think folks?
RoadieRoger
Posting Insanity

Re: Winter Tyres

Postby RoadieRoger » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:55 pm

Black Circles have 35 Tyres in 120x70 x12 in. Wheel . I don`t know the Sym wheel size , but it must be similar . I currently have a Michelin Gity Grip on the rear of my Aprilia Leonardo 250 130x70x12 in 62P which came from Oponeo a year ago for £33 and the local tyre place charged me £10 to fit it . This seems a nice tyre , good grip and hopefully long life . Often fitted these days as Original Equipment .
dakbutler

Postby dakbutler » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:23 pm

So, to reply to my own question, I have now fitted a set of Contimove 365s to the Sym - did it all myself because of the extraordinary cost that a dealer wanted to supply and fit, and even then they said they didn't balance wheels - if anyone wants some pointers on fitting your own tyres just ask.

So - the tyres.
They are brill - even before being fully bedded in they gripped much better and now they are very confidence inspiring.

Little bits of polished tarmac on wet bends used to cause the original tyres to skips sideways - not with these. They grip easily as well as the Metzler Tourances on my GS.

Even manhole covers seem to have lost their ability to make the bike step 6 inches sideways when encountered in a bend - it seems as though these new tyres really don't slide at all across a manhole cover.

All in all wouldn't hesitate to recommend these tyres.
andyscooter
Posting Insanity

Postby andyscooter » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:47 am

only thing I have found with contis

they don't seem to last very long

I have Michelin on both scooters at the moment
2015 lml star

Return to “Technical”