Gilera DNA 50 Running problems

The Area for Technical Q & A's for your scooter or motorbike.
Please read the rules before making any posts.

Moderators: Damnfunky, DTO, Soeley

ANDY-IOW

Gilera DNA 50 Running problems

Postby ANDY-IOW » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:21 pm

I have a Gilera DNA 50 that i just cant seem to get running,
I have a very good spark at the plug and have tried a few thing on it but still no good,
The things i have done are,
1, New spark plug
2, New 17.5mm carb
3, New reed valve and inlet manifold
4, New Base, and cly head gaskets,
5, New Crankshaft seals,
all the above i have tried with a gravity feed fuel tank
and i have tried it with and without the exhust on, I'm now out of Ideas,
The Fault at first was when i did get it running it would only rev to 7000 rpm and cut out
Thanks Andy
ANDY-IOW

Re: Gilera DNA 50 Running problems

Postby ANDY-IOW » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:37 pm

Forgot to say its a 2003 model
Dave_D78

Postby Dave_D78 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:09 pm

Hiya...im a newbie but during my search for an answer to another issue I came across your post, ive recently rebuilt my other halfs dna TWICE, 1st being due to a crappy bottom end!

Anyway, the 2nd time the bike did exactly the same as yours with the high revs when i finally got it running, and after turning the bike off she wouldnt start again...eventually we found the problem, i changed the carb to a manual choke and after filling the carb up it started and runs beautifully to a degree, atm im fighting with the oil pump but it still runs, with and without the exhaust so shouldnt cause an issue if you dont have it on, if you have an auto choke on yours, try a carb with a manual or atleast electrical test your auto choke to atleast rule it out
ANDY-IOW

Postby ANDY-IOW » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:41 pm

Thanks Dave Ya I checked coke and all working fine, and carb works fine on other bike I have,
If I hold my hand over the inlet so it acts as a choke she will fire up but will not carry on running when I take my hand away,

Its like its just not getting the suck in the inlet to pull the fuel in to the cly,
I have got compression on the bike but the cly is the only thing I have not changed, so today I have just placed an order for a 70cc big bore kit,

got to get it going again as the 400 is costing a bit in fuel running it to and from work, and the fact that I have a lot of fun on the peds that I cant have on a 400

Return to “Technical”