Brrmmm ... NOT!

The Area for Technical Q & A's for your scooter or motorbike.
Please read the rules before making any posts.

Moderators: Damnfunky, DTO, Soeley

Sir Henry

Brrmmm ... NOT!

Postby Sir Henry » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:56 am

I recently picked up an identical pair of unregistered mopeds of doubtful origin and age just for show use at steam fairs to get in for free. At first they ran - sort of. One was fine, if a little reluctant to start, and took two up across a fairly bumpy field with the rear tyre graunching away at the wheel arch on the larger lumps. The other would kick up, but revs were severely restricted and it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pud.

However that was 2 weeks ago and now the first one refuses to start at all and the second will kick - eventually - but bogs down when the revs drop below about 2K. When I tried to wash the foam air filter on one of them it dissolved!

Due to disabilities it isn't on the cards for me to push them from my camping spot to the display arenas and back every day, so I really need them running. For the same reasons I would prefer to have a mechanic have a look at them, but I'm having trouble tracking down a reliable and inexpensive one in my neck of the woods.

Any recommendations in the Rotherham/Doncaster/Barnsley/Sheffield area? Obviously I have a small trailer and can take them any reasonable mileage to be looked at and fixed.

Thanks chums.
andyscooter
Posting Insanity

Re: Brrmmm ... NOT!

Postby andyscooter » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:43 am

No idea of a mechanic in that area but as you don't know what they are and we cant find much info wouldn't getting parts be a complete nightmare

Any mechanic will charge for the time used to source parts for these putting the bill up without actually doing anything

As much as I hate to say it, It may be worth calling time on these and buying something else (even an old tomos or puch or something with a brand anyone outside of china has heard of )
2015 lml star
Sir Henry

Postby Sir Henry » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:58 pm

With just a few miles on the clock of each I can't envisage the need for any spare parts for the foreseeable future. As implied they would only see a few miles each year as I run them to and from the display arenas and maybe as much again running around in a formation display. Road use is not on the cards, but moving them under their own power is essential. I got them cheap enough so another few tens of quids wouldn't be too much to pay to have them running properly.
andyscooter
Posting Insanity

Postby andyscooter » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:38 am

ones bogging down so possibly carb issues

where are you going to get jets and carb diaphrams from if needed

you already need a new air filter sponge so what moped takes the same one as we cant find what these are we cant find out if they share parts with any other make

like now we have the Honda clones that share parts with gy6 Honda engines
we also know Yamaha share parts with any jianshe as they are the same bike
the Peugeot vclick is a rebadged Chinese scoot so parts are interchangeable

unless we can find out more it will be a night mare for any mechanic

on the upside I am a member of a massive forum that may help

so with your permission I can post on there to see if anyone can help or pm you the forum and you can ask them yourself (will warn you they are difficult to get onside with mopeds and scooters)
2015 lml star
Sir Henry

Postby Sir Henry » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanks, Andyscooter. By all means please do ask around.

Just last night I was scanning t'interweb and came across a link that took me to another link which ... The upshot was that these silly little 'peds appear to be virtually identical to the Honda Hobbitt (CA50/50I/50II) of the late 70's. The only differences I can see in the pics of these models are paint, seating and the omission of pedals on the ones I've got. They are even belt driven autos.

I got the second one to fire up and run reliably yesterday evening, but only after warming up the head and barrel with a gas torch! Fortunately I don't need them for a couple of weeks.
andyscooter
Posting Insanity

Postby andyscooter » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:56 pm

Have asked got a bit of info but they are asking if we can get some better pics

And a few close up to the engine

I have a few leads to check when I'm back on main pc rather then the tablet
2015 lml star
andyscooter
Posting Insanity

Postby andyscooter » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:43 am

got a bit of info

if its any use or not is a different matter

your moped is very similar to the Honda pa50 camino

so at least you can start looking for parts that may interchange
2015 lml star
Sir Henry

Postby Sir Henry » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Sorry about the delay in responding, Andy, but I've been busy with other tasks.

Anyhoo; you seem to be right about the Camino as it's the same as the Hobbitt. The same model was made in Honda's Belgian factory and distributed in Europe as the Camino and in the Americas as the Hobbitt. My copies seem to be YH50Q models made in the Far East and appear to be still in production today as the YH50Q-2. Cosmetically they have changed little apart from the step-thru part now being filled with a wire basket and, I believe, they are fitted with a 50cc 4-stroke engine. There are virtually no indications that either version was ever meant for import into Europe.

A couple of pics for reference.

Optimistically they have fitted rear pegs for a pillion passenger, but also made the pillion seat removable so that the rear carrier can be used for luggage. There's even a tiny 'tool set' secreted in a tube under the rear seat - just a spark plug spanner and a double ended screwdriver.
andyscooter
Posting Insanity

Postby andyscooter » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:36 am

added pic to the other forum and they are still saying it is a camino copy

still cant get any info on the yihao company though
2015 lml star

Return to “Technical”