Peugeot Kisbee CDI de-restrict

The Area for Technical Q & A's for your scooter or motorbike.
Please read the rules before making any posts.

Moderators: Damnfunky, DTO, Soeley

griffiths

Peugeot Kisbee CDI de-restrict

Postby griffiths » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:00 pm

I recently traded in my own Yamaha Neos (super tuned and capeable of 85Km/h) for a smaller lighter brand new Kisbee for my daughter.

However it is dangerously slow. It is restricted to 45 Km/h and I have been overtaken by mobility scooters. It is now run -in with 1000KM on the clock and I wish to de-restrict it. She has passed her test so I have no wories there. I live in Holland where there are scooters galore and all go much faster.

I believe the restriction is via the electronic CDI unit and I heard that it is a simple task of removing a wire??? Has anyone done this and do you have the information I can use please.

Thanks
RoadieRoger
Posting Insanity

Re: Peugeot Kisbee CDI de-restrict

Postby RoadieRoger » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:37 pm

The Kisbee is sold in Countries with different speed limits .In Holland I believe there is a 20 mph limit on cycleways and the Swiss have a lower limit too for youngsters . We have the dangerous 30 mph limit , so it stands to reason that there must be provision for varying the speed on this machine . It must be done by using various plug- in modules .The Twist and Go Magazine tested one and said it was like hitting a brick wall at 30mph , but the slowing down started well before that speed . The Issue was No 77 Nov/Dec 2010 . If you read the article it says the engine comes with an electronic restrictor which governs the top speed to comply with the laws of the various Countries which they supply to . It further goes on to state, that the Dealer will quickly remove the restrictor if your licence permits you to ride a derestricted scooter .
If you look at the Central Scooters` site at Brierley Hill in the West Midlands here in the UK , they do the Kisbee at £1399 and the model is shown as 40 mph + for derestricted . Perhaps an enquiry to Central would give you a clue ? As you live in Holland perhaps they will let you into the secret . Good luck !
griffiths

Postby griffiths » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:50 pm

Thanks for the response.
There are 2 types of licences in Holland, one for cyclepaths only where no helmet is required and one for roads where the speed limit is 45 and a helmet must be worn.

Not sure if a dealer in the UK would let me know, but it is worth a try.I have looked at various forums for scooters in Holland (and there are lots) but all in Dutch and my language skills are not up to it.

All I can work out is that there is a proble within the drive housing and a blue wire is eihter re-rooted or cut. But I don't plan on doing anything until I now what I need to do. But the scooter can not stay as it is as cars are continuosly trying to pass and force her to the side of the kerb.

Cheers
RoadieRoger
Posting Insanity

Postby RoadieRoger » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:18 pm

There could well be a speed sensor measuring the wheel speed and would likely be in there .
Give them a ring and explain you have seen about them on this Forum and explain you are in Holland and can`t read the lingo there . They will be flattered and hopefully will reveal the secret .
griffiths

Postby griffiths » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:12 pm

Worth a try. Thanks.

I didn't realise it was such a secret.
griffiths

Postby griffiths » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:59 am

Roadie,

I contacted Central Scooters. They were very helpful and sent a Peugeot technical instruction. I haven't tried it yet, but it is simple. Thanks for the steer.

For the forum.

To derestrict, the blue wire coming from the CDI unit is disconnected at the bullet connector. The wire that comes from the speed sensor in the housing is simply tied back into the loom. Best to tape the connector.

The blue wire from the CDI unit now needs a switched live. It is reccomended to splice into the black wire with a grey trace on the CDI unit to get the switched live.

Thanks for help.

Good forum :-)
RoadieRoger
Posting Insanity

Postby RoadieRoger » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:34 pm

Well done Central Scooters for being so helpful and anyone wishing to buy a Peugeot , Kymco or BTM would be well advised to contact them first . Glad you have the information griff and it will be interesting to see what the machine will do after the alteration . I think it shocking that these 50 cc machines are so restricted to be dangerous to the young riders using them . I have several Scooters , one being a 50cc Suzuki Roadie which I bought new in 1982 .This does just over 30 mph and cannot be derestricted , but I have been riding for 53 years , so am experienced , another 10 mph would make all the difference . I keep it through sentiment and it`s now a Classic and in beautiful condition . If in the future I want to downgrade from my 250cc machines a derestricted Kisbee would be a good option .
Hope your daughter is pleased with your efforts .
griffiths

Postby griffiths » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi Roadie,

I have not made the change yet. The Kisbee was bought at christmas and I first want to get the mileage up before its 1st 1000K service. Then I will make the change.

After riding a Neo's for 3 years, I like the Kisbee as it is so light, but it doesn't compare with the Neo's performance (but I had spent quite a bit on the Neo's to tune it up. It had done 40K so getting a little tired and didn't want my daughter to be left with a breakdown on her hands. I am sure when it is derestricted it will be a a fun ride. I expect I may also need to do something with the vario restrictor. Central mentioned I need to remove a washer somewhere - no idea where tho.

I now ride an XJ 600 :-)

I was impressed with Central response and I would also recommend them.
RoadieRoger
Posting Insanity

Postby RoadieRoger » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:53 pm

Griff they must be referring to a washer in the front drive pulley .A washer placed between the pulley halves prevents them closing together . For a good illustration of what is entailed in removing this washer, look at the site ` How to De-restrict your Baotian BT50-QT9 `. The first parts are not relevant to you , but the third deals with the washer . It is still interesting ,as you can buy those Scooters for £700 and de-restricted they would certainly be useful for Commuting in relative safety when compared with the restricted version . Although the make is Baotian , lots of Chinese machines are the same with different names and it will also apply to them .
gurubarry

Postby gurubarry » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:09 am

Just bought a Kisbee....what a surprise after my first scooter in 1961, a Lambrette 150 LD . :scoot1 My last scoot in the UK was a Diana 200 ...death on two wheels .
The Kisbee..... Great handling , real brakes ,and comfort. I am running it in for my Wife and afterwards want to derestrict it as it's a tad dangerous at 50 kmph here in Montpellier . I'm eating lots of dust 30 seconds after the lights change and I hit the limiter :pol

Just joined ,great forum .
RoadieRoger
Posting Insanity

Postby RoadieRoger » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:03 am

Barry you ought to ride your Motorcycle to the nearest Peugeot Dealer and say you have bought a Kisbee and he will see that you have a licence to ride a larger machine . Then ask him directly to de-restrict it for you, as you find it too slow .It might be embarrassing if you bought it somewhere else though ! Only us Brits seem to follow rules , so I would be surprised if the French weren`t happy to bend a few ! I imagine you are a Brit living over there and perhaps you took the name of my home town Barry ? I had to look at the map to see the exact location of Montpellier and note that the Spanish Border is nearby .If all else fails in France ,take a trip to a Spanish Peugeot Dealer , but I wouldn`t think that would be necessary .
Good luck with it !
gurubarry

Postby gurubarry » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:39 pm

:bike: me on a Kisbee to Spain ...lol it's over 2 hours at 130 kmph let alone 50 .... I'll be in need of hospitalisation . But ,your idea of going to the Dealer om my bike is a good 'un . Can't hurt , and the Intruder with me in my Ray Bans and boots is quite intimidating ....yeah dream on Barry :smokin:

You are right about the town called Barry and me living in France,but it is just 30 miles away in the Herault Valley , I'll try to post a photo of me in Barry Street ,in front of Barry Church ...I think it's cool anyway . My Mum just liked Irish names she always told me . I'll keep you all posted if I get a result . In the meantime ,anyone finding out the correct method ...please post it here . We are saving 3/4 of an hour every night coming home from work using the Kisbee...so manouverable in dense and stationary traffic . :wshp

Montpellier is scooter heaven I promise ...and if you come here it's a cinch to hire them as well .
RoadieRoger
Posting Insanity

Postby RoadieRoger » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:18 pm

It looked about 80 miles on the map from Montpellier to the Spanish border ,I wouldn`t fancy doing it on my 1982 Suzuki CS50 Roadie with it`s top speed of 30 mph and auto gears where you have to wait for it to change gear at 10 and 20 mph . If the French don`t spill the beans , a quick trip on the large machine to a Spanish Dealer to get him to point out the de-restriction procedure on one of his Kisbees then . I have done about 90 miles non-stop on a Vintage Run on the 50 , that`s why I bought a 1982 Suzuki X7 to do it the following year a bit quicker ! I remember the Durkorp Diana in the early 60`s , I had an Ariel Arrow and Leader for 12 years at the time . I got my first Scooter ,the Roadie in 1982 and still have it .My main Scooter is an Aprilia Leonardo 250 which does 84 mph and 80-86 mpg , not quite at the same time .
Montpellier to Spain is similar to a trip from Barry , S.Wales to Swindon which was easy on my Leo . On trips to Majorca and Tenerife I was keen to hire a Scooter , but it was always cheaper to hire a car per day, without taking into account a large deposit that wasn`t demanded for a car .
That Kisbee would be ideal if it could reach 45 mph . Perhaps Griffiths from Holland will return with a post to tell how he got on .
leiftaa

Postby leiftaa » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:45 pm

I have been reading all the post on how to de-restrict a Kisbee, but it isn't quite clear. It seem to be a blue wire that comes from a sencor somewhere. On told that he has a detailed instruction from Peugeot team, but has not provide sufficient description. What should be done?

Where is the sensor that they write about? Some write about in the "drive housing" - what is that and where is it located? Do I really need to access it or just consentrate on the blue wire?

Where is the CDI located? Under the seat? How much "stuff" do I have to remove to access the blue wire? Do I need to replace the signal from sensor with a live potensial (e.g. direct from battery).

Please give a hand and help me give my bike a "normal" speed. Thank you for all assistance.
Smoketoomuch

Postby Smoketoomuch » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:06 am

Hi Guys and girls.
Can anyone actualy confirm that this kind of de-restriction works? Im in Sweden and none of my dealers can help me. The Kisbee is not very common in sweden so not even the dealers know...
Cheers!

Return to “Technical”